PSUs, the Public Sector Undertakings, are the government-owned corporations which work similar to the private sector but are responsible for sharing profit with the government owning them. Central Public sector enterprises and state public sector enterprises are two types of PSUs. These PSUs hire their employees by releasing various notifications of various posts. The high score in the GATE exam helps a person to get employment in these PSUs.
The PSUs are categorized on various basis like revenue generation, global presence, listing on the stock exchange and profit generation. A list of types of PSUs mentioning list of companies falling under them is given below:
- Maharatna – Maharatna PSUs are those who have an average annual net worth of 10,000 crores or an average annual net profit of 5,000 crores or an annual average turnover of 20,000 crores. They can invest 15% of their net. Coal India Limited, Indian Oil Corporation Limited, Steel Authority of India Limited, Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited are some of the Maharatna PSUs.
- Navratna – Miniratna PSUs can get the status of Navratna PSUs if they have 4 independent directors on the board. It should also score 60 out of 100 points in various parameters including a net profit, total manpower cost, net worth, the total cost of production, Profit Before Depreciation, Interest and Taxes (PBDIT), cost of services, capital employed etc. Oil India Limited, Shipping Corporation of India Limited, Bharat Electronics Limited, Power Finance Corporation Limited, Mahanagar Telephone Nigam Limited are some of the Navratna PSUs.
- Miniratna – PSUs who have acquired profits in the last three years and had a profit of 30 crores or above in 1 of the years. Airports Authority of India, MMTC Limited, NHPC Limited, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited, Pawan Hans Helicopter Limited, Hindustan Copper Limited, Indian Railways Catering and Tourism Corporation Limited are some of the PSUs belonging to Miniratna PSU category I.
- Miniratna Category-II- PSUs belonging to this category must have had a positive net worth for 3 years. They can either invest 50% of their net worth or up to 300 crores, whichever of them is lower. Indian Medicine and Pharmaceuticals Corporation Limited, HMT (International) Limited, Engineering projects (India) Limited, Ferro Scrap Nigam Limited are some of the PSUs being belonging to Miniratna category II.
Jobs in PSUs offer a good salary and other benefits like health care, education, house allowance, travel, paid leaves etc. therefore a lot of candidates from all over the country want to become a part of one of the PSUs.
PSU Eligibility Criteria
The candidate applying for PSUs recruitment must check the eligibility requirements for the post as set by the hiring PSUs. Any candidate applying for the post must have qualified the Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering. The candidate needs to fulfill the eligibility criteria of age limit, the pass percentage of the graduation and other required information by the PSUs. The Indian Institute of Technology, Delhi is the exam conducting authority of GATE 2020.
PSU Application Form and Process
The application forms differ from one unit to another, it can be both online as well as offline. For the offline mode, applicants are required to download the form and submit the form with other required documents at mentioned address and are required to submit fees by demand draft or challan mode. And for online mode, one needs to register itself and then they are required to upload documents like photograph, signature etc. and need to pay the application fees as per the limits mentioned by the authority. The applicants are required to fill all the information correctly as forms once submitted cannot be revised.
The GATE score is given out of 1000. After scoring well in the GATE examination one is required to clear the interview and then group discussion. Below is a list of few PSUs which hire through GATE score which can help aspirants regarding a release for notifications and regarding several vacancies:
- BPCL Recruitment 2020 – The application form will be out in February 2020, and this Public sector unit hires mechanical engineering.
- Power Grid – Power Grid has released its notification for 110 vacancies hiring Civil, Mechanical, Electrical, Telecommunication, Electronic Engineers. The cut-off date for registration is from January 20 to February 07.
- NTPC Limited – The notification release date will be out soon hiring Power, Mechanical, Thermal, Electronics Engineers.
- IOCL – The application form filling last date is in the third week of March hiring electronics, civil, petrochemical, electrical, communications and telecommunication engineers.
- BSNL – The application form for 198 vacancies of electrical and civil engineering will be out in the second week of February till the second week of March.
- TATA Power – The notification hiring power engineering, electronic, electrical and mechanical engineers will be out in February.
- DRDO – The notification hiring 290 engineers will be out in August for the civil, aeronautical, chemical, mechanical and other engineering posts.
- GAIL – The notification is issued on 03rd February, and the last date of applying will be 03rd March for various engineering posts in GAIL.
- Haryana Power Utilities – The vacancy is hiring 107 aspirants for engineers will be released by Haryana Power Utilities in the last week of June till last week of July.
- BHEL – The notification date for hiring various posts of engineers will be released soon by Bharat Heavy Equipment Limited.
However, always remember that it is important to stay focused and have a positive attitude throughout preparation as well as on the day of the exam. Staying relaxed is the key to a positive mind. Thus, students are advised to give their best without thinking a lot about the result. Stay calm and confident. Good Luck!